Is there anything as refreshing as mint after a meal?
I love mint chocolate chip ice cream because of the fact that it’s a great end to dinner and leaves your mouth feeling cool and refreshed.
Now I have never been one to like sprinkles or chocolate chips in my ice cream – I just don’t want to have to chew something smooth like ice cream!
I know, I know….I have issues…
Enter, melting the chocolate BEFORE adding it to the ice cream – this makes the chocolate melt in your mouth when you eat it!
And if you like chewing your ice cream, then by all means – stir the chocolate chips in without melting them.
But I like to take the 2 extra minutes it takes to melt the chocolate chips before adding the chocolate to the ice cream.
Mint ice cream…it’s like a beautiful blank canvas just asking for some chocolate to get painted on it!
Pour that melted chocolate on top and swirl it in with a spoon!
Now be patient…let it freeze for a few hours and become the perfect soft serve consistency!
I love letting this ice cream sit in my mouth and just savoring the flavors…Mmmmmmm…
A word about raw eggs…
In case you didn’t see my note about this in my Vividly Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe, there is an optional step to heat the eggs if eating raw egg bothers you.
I buy eggs from an organic farmer down the street, so I’m comfortable eating raw eggs yolks, but I totally understand if you want to heat the eggs.
The important thing to watch for if you heat the egg yolks is to not boil the mixture because that will cook the eggs (trust me, I have made that mistake before).
What you are looking for is small bubbles forming around the edge of the pan and lots of steam – that’s the right time to pull it off the heat.
Keto Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Difficulty Level: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus 4 hours for cooling if you temper the eggs)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks (make Angel Food Cake with the egg whites)
- 2 cups Half and Half (or 1 cup cream and 1 cup milk)
- ¼ cup MCT oil
- ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ – 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia or equivalent 1 cup low carb sweetener*
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup sugar-free chocolate chips (I use Lily’s chocolate chips)
- 1 Tablespoon MCT oil
- Put the egg yolks in a mixing bowl and whip until they are light in color, look very creamy, and have doubled in size.
- OPTIONAL: Temper the egg yolks by heating the half-and-half in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently. Once the half-and-half begins to steam and foam around the edge, remove from heat. In quarter cup increments, slowly add the heated half-and half to the eggs.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until well combined. If you did not do the optional step, add the half-and-half at this time.
- Taste test and add more stevia or mint extract if desired.
- If you tempered the eggs, cool at least 4 hours in the fridge. If you didn’t temper the eggs, you can put this in the ice cream maker immediately.
- Turn for 30 minutes, or according to your ice cream maker’s directions.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate sauce ingredients over low heat until smooth and then remove from heat. Allow this to cool while the ice cream finishes turning.
- Once the ice cream is done turning, add to a large shallow dish. Pour the melted chocolate over the ice cream and swirl in with a spoon.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours before serving.
*NOTE: Sweeten the ice cream for your personal taste – my husband still has a big sweet tooth, so this might be a lot sweeter than someone may want if you have been low sugar for a while.