Whether you are meeting someone for your third date or you have been married for 50 years, it can be helpful to have new date night conversation ideas.
I find that sometimes my husband and I can get into conversation “ruts”.
We find ourselves talking about the same things constantly or sitting in silence.
If you have found yourself in the same situation, consider jotting down a couple these for your next date night!
With over 100 question suggestions below, there’s sure to be at least one new question you have never thought to ask.
These questions will help keep the conversation rolling and hopefully lead you to deeper, more meaningful conversation!
The categories are separated by how long you have been together, but I recommend reading through all of the sections.
Date Night Conversation Ideas
Getting to Know You (for those just starting to date)
- How old are you?
- Where were you born?
- Where all have you lived?
- Tell me about your family and extended family:
- Do you have brothers and sisters?
- Are your parents married or divorced?
- Are your grandparents still living?
- Where do all of your family live geographically?
- Did you have any pets growing up?
- Do you have any pets now?
- Do you want to have any pets in the future?
- What is your schooling background?
- Did you go to college? If so, where?
- Do you have a job now? If so, what is it?
- What jobs have you worked in the past?
- What are your favorite hobbies?
- How much time would you say you spend on your phone each day?
- What social media platforms are you on?
- Apple or Microsoft? iPhone or Android?
- What’s your religious background?
- Do you go to church? If so, where do you go?
- What’s your favorite type of food?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- What’s your favorite restaurant? What meal do you like to order there?
- Are you on a diet or have you ever tried a diet before?
- How would you describe the types of foods you eat on a regular basis?
- Have you broken any bones in your life?
- Do you have a favorite actor or actress?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite season? Why do you like it more than the others?
- Have you ever met anyone famous?
- What genre of music do you like? Are there any you can’t stand?
- What’s your favorite song, album, or artist?
- What’s your favorite book?
- Do you have a favorite author?
- What’s your favorite movie and why?
- What’s your favorite TV show and why?
Couples Who Have Been Dating a While
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you want to live and why?
- Do you have a bucket list? If so, what’s on it and if you don’t, what would be 3 things that you would put on a bucket list if you started one?
- What are you afraid of?
- Do you like your current job?
- What’s your dream job?
- Do you see yourself getting married one day?
- What are you looking for in a future spouse?
- Do you see yourself having kids one day? If so, how many kids do you want to have?
- How do you feel about adopting or fostering kids?
- Who have you dated in the past and why did things end between the two of you?
- Who is your best friend and what makes them such a great friend?
- Do you believe in Jesus?
- Have you ever read the Bible?
- Do you have a favorite book of the Bible?
- Do you have a favorite verse or a “life” verse?
- Have you ever been in an accident?
- Do you know how to speak any other languages? Have you ever taken foreign language classes?
- Do you enjoy traveling? If so, where all have you traveled to?
- What’s the longest car trip you have ever been on?
- Have you ever won an award for anything? If so, what was it for?
- What’s a secret talent you have that most people don’t know about?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you thought you were going to die?
- Have you ever ridden in an ambulance?
- What’s been one of your favorite trips and what made it better than other trips you have been on?
- Do you have a political party affiliation or what is your view of politics?
Newly Married Couples
- How are your love languages doing?
- What are your top 3 highlights from this past year?
- Where should we travel to on our next vacation?
- Is there somewhere you want to travel to before you die? If so, where?
- Where’s somewhere you have never traveled to but want to visit?
- Where’s somewhere you have been that you would want to take me to visit?
- What do you see our family looking like 5 years from now? 10 years from now?
- What hobby do you enjoy doing with me the most?
- If you had the talents to do anything in the world, what job would you want to have?
- Are you enjoying your job?
- Could you see yourself wanting to find a new job anytime soon?
- Do you enjoy where we live?
- Would you ever want to move to a new city or country?
- What’s one of your favorite childhood memories?
- What’s one of your favorite meals that I cook?
- Are there any new foods that you want to try?
- If you were to eat only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What 3 words describe me best?
- What 3 words describe you best?
- If we received a million dollars, what would you want to do with it?
- What does retirement look like to you?
Couples Who Have Been Together Forever (yes there might still be something you haven’t talked about!)
- If you could time travel, what year would you want to travel to? Why?
- What’s your favorite vacation we have ever been on?
- If you could meet one person who is no longer alive, who would you want to meet and what would you want to ask them or talk to them about?
- What’s something new that you want to learn how to do?
- What’s the best meal you have ever eaten in your life?
- If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you want to be and why?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- Say the house is on fire and you only had time to take 3 things with you besides other people and pets, what would you grab?
- How would you describe our marriage in 3 words?
- If we were to take off on a road trip tomorrow, where would you want to go?
- Where’s somewhere we have never traveled to but you want to visit?
- What’s a book you’ve been reading recently and do you like it?
- If you could transport and actually live “in” one of the books you have read, which one would you want to be in?
- Is there a book that you think we should read together?
- What’s one of your new favorite TV shows and what do you like about it?
- If you could be a cast member in a TV show, which one would you want to be a part of?
- Are there any movies coming out that you want to go see together?
- What are your top 3 favorite movies of all times?
- If you could be an actor or actress in a movie, which one would you want to be a part of?
Make sure to try out your new date night conversation ideas!
No matter how long you have been together, I hope that you found a couple of new date night conversation ideas to talk about on your next date night!
What’s one of your favorite date night topics?
Do you have any other question suggestions?