These sugar-free, gluten-free apple pie bars are a fun twist on a classic apple pie.
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup palm shortening or other vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons granulated sweetener or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (use 1/4 cup applesauce for vegan)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 batch of coconut flour crust for keto
- 1 batch of your favorite pie crust recipe (you only need a single pie crust worth of dough)
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 4 cups sliced apples (peel removed)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sweetener or honey
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper or grease it well with extra butter or shortening.
- Use a mixer or food processor to combine all of the dough ingredients.
- Spread the dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crust and set dish aside while the filling is being prepared.
- Mix all of the apple pie bar filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- Evenly layer the filling on top of the crust.
- Bake the apple pie bars for 10 minutes uncovered. Then cover the pan with foil and finish baking for 20-30 minutes. Use a fork to gently pierce the bars to check the apples for your desired level of softness.
- Let the bars cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy warm, topped with homemade vanilla ice cream!
Storage: Since these bars aren’t made with real sugar, it’s best to only keep them out on the counter for about a day, otherwise they should be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days (good luck keeping them that long – ours is normally gone in two days!). But this does mean that if you are making them for Thanksgiving or a family get together, you can make them the day before and leave them out on the counter overnight. I just recommend giving them a little reheat before serving that way they are warm to eat!
Freezing: Freezing apple pie bars is a great choice if you don’t want to eat them all immediately. Apple pie bars will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 months. See above for directions on how to freeze either the whole pan of bars or individual bars!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes