If you are looking for a simple, crowd-pleasing dinner to make that has the flavor of BBQ chicken pizza minus the crust, try this BBQ chicken casserole!
- 2 small or 1 large Japanese sweet potato (or 1 head of cauliflower for keto, see the How to Make Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole section above)
- 1/2 cup butter (use ghee for paleo or 1/4 cup avocado oil for Whole30)
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds chicken
- 1 jar Classic Unsweetened BBQ Sauce (or 1 cup of your family’s favorite BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- Optional: 8 ounces of shredded cheddar or gouda cheese (omit for paleo/Whole 30)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce the skin a few times with a fork. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour (or 1-1/2 hours if using a large sweet potato). Alternatively, you can also boil the sweet potatoes (see above for directions).
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make Instant Pot shredded chicken (or see abbreviated directions above as well as directions on other methods for making the chicken). Once the chicken is shredded, add the BBQ sauce.
- While the chicken is in the Instant Pot or boiling on the stove, chop the onion and the green bell pepper.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done (leave the oven on!), let them cool for 5-10 minutes so that they are easier to handle. Use a knife to cube the potatoes and add the butter (or avocado oil). Let the warm potatoes melt the butter and then toss to coat. Add them to an 8×8″ baking dish.
- Layer the BBQ chicken on top of the sweet potatoes. Spread out the onion and green pepper over the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese on top if using.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until everything is hot again and the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot!
Storage: BBQ chicken casserole can be stored in the fridge 3-4 days. Any longer than that and you will want to freeze leftovers in an airtight container.
Freezing: This casserole can also be made ahead of time and frozen. It works best to freeze the casserole without the cheese on it and then add the cheese when you are ready to bake it. Freeze for up to 6 months for best freshness (although it can be stored indefinitely and still be safe to eat). Thaw overnight in the fridge before baking in the oven. Reheat at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: keto paleo whole30