Looking for a healthy winter squash soup that is delicious and easy to make? Try this recipe which uses both butternut and buttercup squash!
- 1 buttercup squash
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, diced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces bone broth, vegetable broth or 1 can of coconut milk (for a creamier soup)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Wash the outside of the squashes and place them on a baking sheet. Roast them for 1 hour and then check to see if a fork easily pierces the skin. If so, remove the squash from the oven. If not, check in intervals of 15 minutes and roast until the squashes are soft. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Chop the onion. Dice the apple. Crush and finely chop the garlic. Now check the squash to see if it is cool enough to touch. When the squash have cooled enough that you can handle them, remove the skin and seeds from the squashes. Set aside while you cook the other ingredients.
- In a large saucepan, add the butter, onion, apples, and garlic. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until the onion and garlic are fragrant and the apples have softened.
- Now add the buttercup squash, the butternut squash, salt, Italian seasoning, and broth (or coconut milk). Stir until well combined.
- If desired, use an immersion blender to purée the soup until it is smooth, otherwise, you can leave the soup with the apple and onion chunks!
- Serve hot, and if desired, top with additional raw apple and onion pieces on top.
- Storage: Let the soup cool for 30 minutes on the counter. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: This soup is also great for storing in the freezer. Place in an airtight container or pint sized mason jar (for lunch portions!). Cool in the fridge overnight and then place in the freezer. If you are using a mason jar, make sure you leave at least a half inch of headspace so that the jar doesn’t break when freezing.
- Calories: 385
- Fat: 18.9
- Saturated Fat: 16.1
- Carbohydrates: 33.8
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 26.6