If you are looking for an elegant dessert to serve for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or other event, make this decadent red velvet torte!
- ½ cup butter or palm shortening
- 3 cups chopped red beets
- ½ cup Lakanto granular or erythritol
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon stevia
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
Optional Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons butter or palm shortening
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- Stevia or other sweetener to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter, beets, and the granular sweetener over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the beets are soft. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a tart pan or a 9-inch cake pan by greasing it really well with butter, or cut unbleached parchment paper to fit to the edges.
- Pour the beet mixture into a blender pitcher along with the remaining ingredients. Blend until pureed and smooth.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before removing the spring pan sides or flipping over the cake pan.
- After the torte has cooled completely, in a medium saucepan over low heat, melt together the ganache ingredients until smooth. Pour onto the middle of the torte. Use a spoon to swirl outward towards the edges until the chocolate covers the top and spills over the sides a little.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate any leftovers (chocolate ganache will be firm after refrigerating).
Storage: Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: If you want to make this recipe well in advance, you can freeze the torte. It works best to freeze the torte without the ganache. Thaw the torte in the fridge 1-2 days ahead of when you want to serve it. Make the ganache and pour it on the torte right before serving.
Nutrition: The nutrition facts below are just for the torte and does not include the ganache. The ganache adds the following per serving (1/16): Calories: 48, Fat: 5.1, Carbs: 2.1, Fiber: 1.2, Sugar: 0.1, Protein: 0.9
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/16
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 1.8
- Fat: 7.5
- Carbohydrates: 4.9
- Fiber: 2.2
- Protein: 3.3